[rt-users] Re: Can RT execute operating-system commands?

Thomas M. Payerle payerle at physics.umd.edu
Fri Mar 31 11:11:40 EST 2006

> is it possible to use RT and approvals in a
> hosting-provisioning-scenario, where after an order is approved, the
> command to start the provisioning is triggered?

I am fairly new to RT, but was able to do a system() call in a custom scrip
action, so the answer appears to be yes, RT can execute OS commands via
scrip interface.

You should be able to configure RT to do as you request, but not sure how
wise such would be.  If nothing else, the provisioning command would be
run as the uid running the web server process, which might either mean
reducing privs needed to run the provisioning command or upping privs of
web server process, and that may have adverse security considerations.

Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics				payerle at physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland			(301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111		Fax: (301) 314-9525

Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics				payerle at physics.umd.edu