[rt-users] rt-3 cluster mysql backend

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed May 3 10:02:24 EDT 2006

Roy El-Hames wrote:
> Rainer Duffner wrote:
>
>> Roy El-Hames wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking to migrate the backend (mysql) to a clustered platform
>>> and was planning on using mysql 5.1.
>>> However rt-3.6 need Innodb and the cluster needs ndbcluster ... have
>>> anyone had a work around for this .. or possibly more general have
>>> anyone implemented a mysql clustered backend ..
>>> On google I came across
>>> :http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?25,32782,32812#msg-32812 ..but
>>> unless I am missing something the innodb tables would n't be
>>> replicated in the suggested solution ..Any help will be greatly
>>> appreciated..
>>> the system will be rt-3.6 / dbix 1.43 /mysql 5.1 /gentoo / apache2
>>> /mod_perl2
>>> Roy
>>

>> Last time I looked, NDBcluster still required to be able to fit the
>> complete DB into RAM (apart from the other problems).
>> How large is your database?
>
> The db is around 18G and Growing .. (average 1200 tickets a day) .. as
> far as I know NDBcluster require just the indexes in memory ..I might
> be wrong.

According to:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/04/20/advanced-mysql-replication.html

that is a feature for 5.1

And besides, NDB doesn't seem to support foreign keys, which pretty much
rules out its use for RT.

>> Also, ISTR Jesse saying that the DB is not really the bottleneck any
>> more (in most cases)  - years after years of optimizations have left
>> their traces...
>>
>> What are your requirements regarding the availability?
>

> Its not really a question of availability as much as performance .. in
> my case the bottleneck is the db .. (the db server is dual cpu 2.8G
> and 6G memory) ..
> the web server is very much similar spec and the performance graphs
> showing no signs of stress , where the db server is in most cases at
> peak (cpu and memory) ..
> I have applied every patch Jesse have recomended and to be fair there
> isn't a single query that I can blame ..
> What do you recommend ?

My DB is still much smaller (and I use PostgreSQL anyway).
IIRC, other people with lots of new tickets usually delete most after
some time.

cheers,
Rainer