[rt-users] User autocreation

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Wed May 3 14:56:37 EDT 2006

At Wednesday 5/3/2006 02:17 PM, Phil Smith III wrote:
>We don't think we dare enable auto-user creation due to spam issues.
>
>But the usual flow is like this:
>
>1) User emails support at ourdomain with an issue.
>2) One of us creates an RT ticket, then replies, CCing RT, putting
>the [ourdomain #nnn] in the Subject.
>3) Occasionally a customer is well-behaved enough to do a REPLY ALL,
>but that fails to update RT because the user isn't in RT.
>
>Is there an easy way (presumably a scrip) to say "Any user that's
>ever been on a TO or CC list gets auto-added as an unprivileged user"?

I can't think of one - this info is hidden away in transactions and
it would seem costly to trawl through all transactions each time a
reply came in.

The whole flow described seems prone to mistakes - for example, I'll
guess people occasionally make typos when putting [ourdomain #nnn] in
the Subject. The issue of customers doing reply or reply all isn't a
question of good behavior - why should the customer be expected to
know what your workflow is and that you need them to "reply all"?

A good spam filter and a more conventional use of RT might work out better -

Steve