[rt-users] How to create users with CLI without being prompted for password

Tomasz Wlodek tomw at bnl.gov
Wed May 10 16:22:44 EDT 2006

Hi,

I am trying to create users using command line interface. I do:

./rt create -t user set username=test1 emailaddress=a at b.com password=testpwd

But then rt asks me for password:

>Password:

Question 1: Which password does it want? the root pwd for RT mysql
database? or the superuser password?

Question 2: Can I get rid of the password question? My users will be
created automatically in a script which calls "rt create ...".

I see in the rt code subroutine

read_passwd sub read_passwd {
    eval 'require Term::ReadKey';
    if ($@) {
        die "No password specified (and Term::ReadKey not installed).\n";
    }

    print "Password: ";
    Term::ReadKey::ReadMode('noecho');
    chomp(my $passwd = Term::ReadKey::ReadLine(0));
    Term::ReadKey::ReadMode('restore');
    print "\n";

    return $passwd;
}

What will happen if I throw away content of this routine and make it
return the mysql root password?

Is there a simpler way to bypass the password question?

Tomasz Wlodek                        | tel 631-344-7448
Brookhaven Laboratory, Building 510M | fax 631-344-7616
Upton NY 11973-5000                  |