[rt-users] Email Address question

Schultz, Eric ESchultz at corp.untd.com
Mon May 22 11:17:36 EDT 2006

	On 5/16/06, Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

		On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:22:01PM -0500, Kristopher
Lusk wrote:
		> Hi List,
		>
		>
		>
		> I'm trying to add a new user via the web interface who
happens to have a
		> hyphen in their email address.  RT does not like this
and is complaining
		> about an illegal value in the email address ( User
18682: EmailAddress:
		> Illegal value for EmailAddress ).  For instance, if
Best Practical's domain
		> was best-practical.com <http://best-practical.com>
instead of bestpractical.com, someone's email address
		> would be xyz at best-practical.com.  How would I add this
person as a user?
		> Does putting double quotes around the address actually
work?

		It's not the hyphen that's getting in your way.
		It's a horrible error message. But it means they're
already in RT as a
		user. Search for users by email address. Find them.
Click "Allow this
		user to access RT"

		Jesse

	After reading this (and having trouble changing my email address
in RT), I checked and found about six variaitions of my name in the RT
Users table. All are legitimate variations, like
firstname at ourdomain.com, firstname at our-old-domain.com,
firstname.lastname at ourdomain.com, etc. Most were probably created when I
emailed in a ticket from various addresses, or when my email client was
configured slightly differently. I think we have several other users in
the same boat.

	Is there any way to "merge" users the way we can merge multiple
tickets that are really about the same issue? Otherwise, I think the
best solution is to set the email fields to null at null.com so I can set
the email address on my 'real' account correctly.

	--
	sockmonk

Do a search for all tickets owned by the duplicate users, and do bulk
updates to get them all to the user who you want to be the correct one.
For instance, do a query where Watcher.EmailAddress =
'firstname.lastname at ourdomain.com', and then for all of those tickets,
do a bulk update where you change the Watcher to whatever email you
choose.  Do this for all tickets owned/requested as well.  Then you can
start nulling out the user fields.  However, I would leave the Username
and Email field as is, so that if you try to use one of those in the
future, the system complains or bounces your email, forcing you to use
the "correct" one.

Eric Schultz
United Online