[rt-users] Modifying RT Email Address Question

Timothy Ewing timothy.ewing at gmail.com
Tue May 23 16:33:56 EDT 2006

Hi,

I am trying to get RT to send out email in a specific form and have
been unable to do so to this point.  I'm writing to the list in hopes
that someone else has solved this problem or can point me in the right
direction.

I have a Linux system running RT with an IP address of 172.20.8.103.
This IP address is actually listed as hostname.some.domain.com and
it's also listed in hostname.domain.com (depending on the nameserver
used).  This IP address is tied to RT specifically (meaning that the
Apache/RT configuration can failover to one of three machines).

Here is a brief description of my environment

Physical Host A = 172.20.8.31   (hostname = ccla1g.some.domain.com)
Physical Host B = 172.20.8.32   (hostname = ccla2g.some.domain.com)
Physical Host C = 172.20.8.33   (hostname = ccla3g.some.domain.com)

RT Service = 172.20.8.103  (vcalgn1g.some.domain.com)

These names are according to the nameserver authoritative for some.domain.com.

When a ticket is created, email goes out as it should.  When I open
the email it shows "Lastname, Firstname via RT
[queue_name at vcalgn1g.some.domain.com]"

Since 172.20.8.103 is tied to RT, I want the change the email so that
when someone replies it goes to queue_name at domain.com).

In other words I want the ticket to read as follows:
"Lastname, Firstname via RT [queue_name at vcalgn1g.domain.com]"

I don't really want to make a global sendmail change.  What I want to
do is make a change such that when RT sends tickets out, it shows the
shorter domain.

Let me know if this does not make sense and I'll try to do a better
job explaining.

- Tim