[rt-users] How to disable forwarding of correspondence to requestor?

Mike Bell mikeb at agftech.com
Thu May 25 16:05:10 EDT 2006

Hi,
With the default config, if a message is sent to RT with a ticket
identifier in the subject, but from an email address different than that
ticket's requestor, RT will send a copy of the message to the requestor.
  I want to prevent RT from sending the copy.  I've tried deleting and
changing various 'on correspond' scrips with no luck.

I've recently had a vexing problem with a mail loop.  RT received a spam
message with a bad from address.  SpamAssassin marked it and an
automated spam reply was sent out by RT.  The mail server identified by
the (bad) from address then returned a message indicating that it was
non-deliverable but which contained the RT ticket identifier string in
the subject.  Since the from address was not the same as the requestor
address, RT sent a copy of this notification back to the requestor.  RT
received another non-deliverable notification creating a mail loop.
Over a few days several thousand emails were sent back and forth before
I noticed the problem.  This ticket had over 16000 transactions, which
caused httpd processes to lock up when attempting to view the ticket.

I want to prevent this from happening.    If there is no way to disable
RT's message forwarding in this instance, I will consider disabling the
autoreply for spam messages, though that could cause problems with false
positives.  But I can imagine someone could easily cause a similar mail
loop by sending a couple of non-spam messages with forged headers, just
using the default RT autoreply.

This is a production RT 3.4.5 system that has been running for several
months.  It is installed on a fedora core 5 server.  Thanks for any
assistance or advice!

-Mike Bell