[rt-users] rt3.6rc2 multiple login issue

Shawn Plummer plummer at geneseo.edu
Tue May 30 09:47:28 EDT 2006

I posted this on the developer list but got no response, I thought I
would post it on the larger users list and see if anyone had any
suggestions. I am quite confounded by this issue so any help anyone
could provide would be very appreciated.

Problem Synopsis:
users with the modify self privilege are asked to log two or more times.

Problem Detail:
When a privileged user with the modify self privilege logs in to the
url http://rt.geneseo.edu/ they are immediately asked to login again
after clicking any link. If they clicked one of the top menu links
(for instance "Tools") after logging in a second time they are no
longer asked to login. If they clicked a ticket details link they
will be asked to login in again until they click a link that sets
proper session data.
If you entered http://rt.geneseo.edu/Tools/index.html as your first
path and login you are not asked to login again, it appears the
cookie data gets set properly.
The Tools page is used for example here it appears that any sub page
"Tickets", "Configuration", etc. do the right thing in regards to
setting session data that does not require multiple logins.

Troubleshooting steps:
I have used firefox's web developer plugin bar to show the client
cookie contents at all stages of the login procedure and they are
identical before and after getting a permanent login.

The session data residing in /var/rt36prod/var/session_data is
however quite different (Details at bottom of email). The summary is
that the session data file contains only a very small amount of
information at first login but after obtaining the permanent login by
clicking on the Tools link has a ton of extra info. Why is there such
a discrepancy?

I am not really sure where to go from here. Does anyone have any
other suggestions? Can I provide any more helpful information?
My theory is that the At a Glance  and ticket detail pages do not set
all the session data needed...

Our setup:
We are running 3.6.0rc2
We are using RT with an Oracle Database
We are using Jim Meyer's LDAP overlay to authenticate and create users.

Gritty details:

Here is the contents of the session data file for me immediately
after logging in the first time:
[root at status session_data]# od -a bc9009efef96d9d3c57614509d3e39e5
0000000 enq ack etx nul nul nul stx  nl  sp   b   c   9   0   0   9   e
0000020   f   e   f   9   6   d   9   d   3   c   5   7   6   1   4   5
0000040   0   9   d   3   e   3   9   e   5 nul nul nul  vt   _   s   e
0000060   s   s   i   o   n   _   i   d eot dc1  si   R   T   :   :   C
0000100   u   r   r   e   n   t   U   s   e   r etx nul nul nul soh  nl
0000120 enq   U   s   e   r   s nul nul nul enq   t   a   b   l   e nul
0000140 nul nul  vt   C   u   r   r   e   n   t   U   s   e   r
0000156

And here is the session data after obtaining a permamnent login by
clicking the "Tools" link
[root at status session_data]# od -a bc9009efef96d9d3c57614509d3e39e5
0000000 enq ack  em nul nul nul nul etx eot dc1  si   R   T   :   :   C
0000020   u   r   r   e   n   t   U   s   e   r etx nul nul nul ack  nl
0000040  si   R   T   :   :   C   u   r   r   e   n   t   U   s   e   r
0000060 nul nul nul ack   _   C   l   a   s   s eot dc1  ff   R   T   :
0000100   :   I   1   8   N   :   :   e   n etx nul nul nul nul nul nul
0000120 nul  nl   L   a   n   g   H   a   n   d   l   e etb  vt   U   s
0000140   e   r   s   :   i   d   =   2   3 nul nul nul   "   _   S   B
0000160   _   R   e   c   o   r   d   _   P   r   i   m   a   r   y   _
0000200   R   e   c   o   r   d   C   a   c   h   e   _   k   e   y  nl
0000220 enq   U   s   e   r   s nul nul nul enq   t   a   b   l   e eot
0000240 etx nul nul nul   " etb stx   1   2 nul nul nul bel   c   r   e
0000260   a   t   o   r  nl nul nul nul nul  bs   c   o   m   m   e   n
0000300   t   s etb stx   N   Y nul nul nul enq   s   t   a   t   e enq
0000320 nul nul nul  vt   w   e   b   e   n   c   o   d   i   n   g etb
0000340  si   S   h   a   w   n  sp   M  sp   P   l   u   m   m   e   r
0000360 nul nul nul  bs   r   e   a   l   n   a   m   e etb  cr   *   N
0000400   O   -   P   A   S   S   W   O   R   D   * nul nul nul  bs   p
0000420   a   s   s   w   o   r   d enq nul nul nul  nl   a   u   t   h
0000440   s   y   s   t   e   m enq nul nul nul  ht   h   o   m   e   p
0000460   h   o   n   e etb stx   2   3 nul nul nul stx   i   d enq nul
0000500 nul nul  bs   t   i   m   e   z   o   n   e enq nul nul nul eot
0000520   l   a   n   g etb bel   p   l   u   m   m   e   r nul nul nul
0000540 eot   n   a   m   e enq nul nul nul dc1   c   o   n   t   a   c
0000560   t   i   n   f   o   s   y   s   t   e   m etb enq   1   4   4
0000600   5   4 nul nul nul etx   z   i   p enq nul nul nul  cr   e   m
0000620   a   i   l   e   n   c   o   d   i   n   g etb dc3   2   0   0
0000640   6   -   0   3   -   2   1  sp   1   6   :   3   9   :   3   2
0000660 nul nul nul  vt   l   a   s   t   u   p   d   a   t   e   d enq
0000700 nul nul nul  ht   s   i   g   n   a   t   u   r   e etb bel   p
0000720   l   u   m   m   e   r nul nul nul  so   e   x   t   e   r   n
0000740   a   l   a   u   t   h   i   d etb  vt   S   o   u   t   h  sp
0000760   1   2   4   b   1 nul nul nul  bs   a   d   d   r   e   s   s
0001000   1 etb  ff   5   8   5   -   2   4   5   -   5   5   7   7 nul
0001020 nul nul  ht   w   o   r   k   p   h   o   n   e etb dc3   p   l
0001040   u   m   m   e   r   @   g   e   n   e   s   e   o   .   e   d
0001060   u nul nul nul  ff   e   m   a   i   l   a   d   d   r   e   s
0001100   s  nl nul nul nul nul dc3   f   r   e   e   f   o   r   m   c
0001120   o   n   t   a   c   t   i   n   f   o etb bel   G   e   n   e
0001140   s   e   o nul nul nul eot   c   i   t   y etb  si   S   h   a
0001160   w   n  sp   M  sp   P   l   u   m   m   e   r nul nul nul enq
0001200   g   e   c   o   s etb   "   C   o   m   p   u   t   i   n   g
0001220  sp   &  sp   I   n   f   o   r   m   a   t   i   o   n  sp   T
0001240   e   c   h   n   o   l   o   g   y nul nul nul  ff   o   r   g
0001260   a   n   i   z   a   t   i   o   n enq nul nul nul bel   c   o
0001300   u   n   t   r   y etb  ff   5   8   5   -   7   0   3   -   9
0001320   3   1   2 nul nul nul  vt   m   o   b   i   l   e   p   h   o
0001340   n   e enq nul nul nul  bs   n   i   c   k   n   a   m   e etb
0001360   #   u   i   d   =   p   l   u   m   m   e   r   ,   o   u   =
0001400   P   e   o   p   l   e   ,   o   =   g   e   n   e   s   e   o
0001420   .   e   d   u nul nul nul nak   e   x   t   e   r   n   a   l
0001440   c   o   n   t   a   c   t   i   n   f   o   i   d enq nul nul
0001460 nul  bs   a   d   d   r   e   s   s   2 etb dc3   2   0   0   6
0001500   -   0   3   -   2   1  sp   1   4   :   3   2   :   0   6 nul
0001520 nul nul bel   c   r   e   a   t   e   d enq nul nul nul ack   p
0001540   g   p   k   e   y enq nul nul nul  nl   p   a   g   e   r   p
0001560   h   o   n   e etb stx   2   3 nul nul nul  cr   l   a   s   t
0001600   u   p   d   a   t   e   d   b   y nul nul nul ack   v   a   l
0001620   u   e   s eot etx nul nul nul   "  bs soh nul nul nul bel   c
0001640   r   e   a   t   o   r  bs soh nul nul nul  bs   c   o   m   m
0001660   e   n   t   s  bs soh nul nul nul enq   s   t   a   t   e  bs
0001700 soh nul nul nul  vt   w   e   b   e   n   c   o   d   i   n   g
0001720  bs soh nul nul nul  bs   r   e   a   l   n   a   m   e  bs soh
0001740 nul nul nul  bs   p   a   s   s   w   o   r   d  bs soh nul nul
0001760 nul  nl   a   u   t   h   s   y   s   t   e   m  bs soh nul nul
0002000 nul  ht   h   o   m   e   p   h   o   n   e  bs soh nul nul nul
0002020 stx   i   d  bs soh nul nul nul  bs   t   i   m   e   z   o   n
0002040   e  bs soh nul nul nul eot   l   a   n   g  bs soh nul nul nul
0002060 eot   n   a   m   e  bs soh nul nul nul dc1   c   o   n   t   a
0002100   c   t   i   n   f   o   s   y   s   t   e   m  bs soh nul nul
0002120 nul etx   z   i   p  bs soh nul nul nul  cr   e   m   a   i   l
0002140   e   n   c   o   d   i   n   g  bs soh nul nul nul  ht   s   i
0002160   g   n   a   t   u   r   e  bs soh nul nul nul  vt   l   a   s
0002200   t   u   p   d   a   t   e   d  bs soh nul nul nul  so   e   x
0002220   t   e   r   n   a   l   a   u   t   h   i   d  bs soh nul nul
0002240 nul  bs   a   d   d   r   e   s   s   1  bs soh nul nul nul  ht
0002260   w   o   r   k   p   h   o   n   e  bs soh nul nul nul  ff   e
0002300   m   a   i   l   a   d   d   r   e   s   s  bs soh nul nul nul
0002320 dc3   f   r   e   e   f   o   r   m   c   o   n   t   a   c   t
0002340   i   n   f   o  bs soh nul nul nul eot   c   i   t   y  bs soh
0002360 nul nul nul enq   g   e   c   o   s  bs soh nul nul nul  ff   o
0002400   r   g   a   n   i   z   a   t   i   o   n  bs soh nul nul nul
0002420 bel   c   o   u   n   t   r   y  bs soh nul nul nul  vt   m   o
0002440   b   i   l   e   p   h   o   n   e  bs soh nul nul nul  bs   n
0002460   i   c   k   n   a   m   e  bs soh nul nul nul nak   e   x   t
0002500   e   r   n   a   l   c   o   n   t   a   c   t   i   n   f   o
0002520   i   d  bs soh nul nul nul  bs   a   d   d   r   e   s   s   2
0002540  bs soh nul nul nul bel   c   r   e   a   t   e   d  bs soh nul
0002560 nul nul ack   p   g   p   k   e   y  bs soh nul nul nul  cr   l
0002600   a   s   t   u   p   d   a   t   e   d   b   y  bs soh nul nul
0002620 nul  nl   p   a   g   e   r   p   h   o   n   e nul nul nul bel
0002640   f   e   t   c   h   e   d nul nul nul nul  vt   C   u   r   r
0002660   e   n   t   U   s   e   r  nl  sp   b   c   9   0   0   9   e
0002700   f   e   f   9   6   d   9   d   3   c   5   7   6   1   4   5
0002720   0   9   d   3   e   3   9   e   5 nul nul nul nul  vt   _   s
0002740   e   s   s   i   o   n   _   i   d eot stx nul nul nul ack eot
0002760 etx nul nul nul etx etb soh   1 nul nul nul stx   I   d etb  ff
0003000   C   I   T  sp   H   e   l   p   D   e   s   k nul nul nul  vt
0003020   D   e   s   c   r   i   p   t   i   o   n etb bel   G   e   n
0003040   e   r   a   l nul nul nul eot   N   a   m   e eot etx nul nul
0003060 nul etx etb soh   4 nul nul nul stx   I   d etb  ff   C   I   T
0003100  sp   H   e   l   p   D   e   s   k nul nul nul  vt   D   e   s
0003120   c   r   i   p   t   i   o   n etb syn   H   e   l   p   D   e
0003140   s   k   C   a   r   r   y   I   n   S   e   r   v   i   c   e
0003160 nul nul nul eot   N   a   m   e eot etx nul nul nul etx etb soh
0003200   6 nul nul nul stx   I   d etb   F   s   e   r   v   i   c   e
0003220  sp   r   e   q   u   e   s   t   s  sp   a   n   d  sp   p   r
0003240   o   j   e   c   t   s  sp   a   s   s   o   c   i   a   t   e
0003260   d  sp   w   i   t   h  sp   s   t   u   d   e   n   t  sp   a
0003300   c   c   e   s   s  sp   c   o   m   p   u   t   e   r   s nul
0003320 nul nul  vt   D   e   s   c   r   i   p   t   i   o   n etb eot
0003340   L   a   b   s nul nul nul eot   N   a   m   e eot etx nul nul
0003360 nul etx etb soh   5 nul nul nul stx   I   d etb   .   a   l   l
0003400  sp   t   o   -   d   o  sp   i   t   e   m   s  sp   a   s   s
0003420   o   c   i   a   t   e   d  sp   w   i   t   h  sp   c   o   n
0003440   f   i   g   u   r   i   n   g  sp   R   T nul nul nul  vt   D
0003460   e   s   c   r   i   p   t   i   o   n etb  ht   R   T   P   r
0003500   o   j   e   c   t nul nul nul eot   N   a   m   e eot etx nul
0003520 nul nul etx etb soh   3 nul nul nul stx   I   d etb   7   F   o
0003540   r  sp   a   l   l  sp   e   x   t   e   r   n   a   l  sp   r
0003560   e   q   u   e   s   t   s  sp   m   a   d   e  sp   t   o  sp
0003600   t   h   e  sp   C   I   T  sp   S   y   s   t   e   m   s  sp
0003620   G   r   o   u   p nul nul nul  vt   D   e   s   c   r   i   p
0003640   t   i   o   n etb  vt   S   y   s   t   e   m   s   -   e   x
0003660   t nul nul nul eot   N   a   m   e eot etx nul nul nul etx etb
0003700 stx   6   1 nul nul nul stx   I   d etb  sp   F   o   r  sp   s
0003720   y   s   t   e   m   s  sp   i   n   t   e   r   n   a   l  sp
0003740   p   r   o   j   e   c   t  sp   u   s   e nul nul nul  vt   D
0003760   e   s   c   r   i   p   t   i   o   n etb  vt   S   y   s   t
0004000   e   m   s   -   i   n   t nul nul nul eot   N   a   m   e stx
0004020 nul nul nul   #   S   e   l   e   c   t   Q   u   e   u   e   -
0004040   -   -   2   3   -   -   -   C   r   e   a   t   e   T   i   c
0004060   k   e   t   -   -   -   0
0004067

RT_Siteconfig relevant entries:

Set( $rtname, 'Geneseo RT');

# You should set this to your organization's DNS domain. For example,
# fsck.com or asylum.arkham.ma.us. It's used by the linking interface to
# guarantee that ticket URIs are unique and easy to construct.

Set($Organization , "rt.geneseo.edu");

# OwnerEmail is the address of a human who manages RT. RT will send
# errors generated by the mail gateway to this address.  This address
# should _not_ be an address that's managed by your RT instance.

Set($OwnerEmail , 'rtadmin');

Set( $WebBaseURL = 'http://rt.geneseo.edu/');
Set($WebPath , "");

httpd.conf virtualhost entry:

FastCgiIpcDir /var/fastcgi/
FastCgiServer /opt/rt36prod/bin/mason_handler.fcgi -idle-timeout 120 -
processes 8
<VirtualHost 137.238.1.201>
     ServerName rt.geneseo.edu
     DocumentRoot /opt/rt36prod/share/html
     ErrorLog logs/rt_error_log
     CustomLog logs/rt_access_log combined
     AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

     AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
     <Directory "/opt/rt36prod/share/html">
       Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
       AllowOverride None
     </Directory>
     # Pass through requests to for noauth
     Alias /NoAuth/images /opt/rt36prod/share/html/NoAuth/images
     ScriptAlias / /opt/rt36prod/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
</VirtualHost>

Shawn Plummer
Systems Manager
CIT SUNY Geneseo
"The mind can make substance, and people planets of its own with
beings brighter than have been, and give a breath to forms which can
outlive all flesh." -Lord Byron