[rt-users] Best OS to Install RT on...

Max H. btmanmeh at verizon.net
Tue May 30 21:21:29 EDT 2006

Dan Franks wrote:

> I am new to RT and am trying to make a decision on the best OS to
> install RT on.  We had trouble getting it to run on Windows and decided
> to setup a Linux box.  Now I just have to decide which variant is the
> most straightforward to setup.
>
> This is going to be a small setup, maybe three queues and 50 users for
> an internal help desk.  We unfortunately have to interface with an
> Exchange server using IMAP.

Well, there is plenty of help online with good how-to guides for
installations.

<http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?InstallationGuides>

I personally run it on CentOS 4 (basically the same as RHEL 4), so it's
mainly a matter of preference. In my opinion, it's easy to install and
maintain on RHEL. But that's my favorite OS and what I'm used to. Check
out the install guides above and choose the best that suits your needs,
or the Linux OS that you are most familiar with.

Keep in mind that the Fedora flavors aren't meant to be supported for
long periods of time, so you might be better off with an enterprise
level Linux install.

Max