[rt-users] problem installing RT 3.6.1

Steve Holmes sjh at harmony.ics.purdue.edu
Tue Oct 10 16:26:26 EDT 2006

Background: I've been away from RT for a while, but used to run 2.0.x.
I'm making a new install of 3.6.1 on a Solaris 10 server with PERL 5.8.7,
configured to use modperl2 and mysql.

I had to install or re-install several perl modules for RT dependencies,
in particular I installed DBD::mysql 3.0007

The mysql server is on a separate host also running Solaris 10, and mysql
5.0.22.

I followed the installation instruction at sun.com (which are slightly
out of date, but not so much as to make them unusable), and the
installation of RT went smoothly until...

make initialize-database

This proceeds nicely down to:

Now inserting RT core system objects
Checking for existing system user...not found.  This appears to be a new installation.
Creating system user...make: *** [initialize-database] Bus Error (core dumped)

I've searched the archives, the wiki, and google and haven't come up with
anything useful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve Holmes