[rt-users] RT demo and install issues

James Mohr rt-users at jimmo.com
Thu Oct 26 03:28:06 EDT 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 00:03, you wrote:
> James Mohr wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees, but I do
> > no see anywhere to download an RPM. There are instruction on installing
> > the RPM, but the RPM install page simply says:
> >
> > RT's three step install procedure:
> >  1) Download the file:
> >
> > But no file is listed. On the Best Practical site, all I find are source
> > installs.
> >
> > As for the demo, I do not find any information about which username and
> > password to use. Where can I find this info?
>
> search rpmfind.net

So that I understand this correctly, Best Practical does not provide this RPM
(at least not directly). Is that correct? The RT Wiki on the Best Practical
site explains how to install an RPM, but does not provide the RPM nor does it
tell you how to get it. Is that correct?

From what I see on rpmfind.net, the RPMs are available from RedHat and not
Best Practical. I also googled a couple of references that seemed to indicate
that RedHat is including RT. Can anyone point me to a link that details in
which RH products RT is included? Were these RPMs created by Best Practical
and provided to RedHat or did RedHat create them on their own? If created by
RedHat how does Best Practical relate to these? Are they still considered
"official" versions?

I downloaded a couple of the the RPMs from rpmfind via the links on the left
side of the list (which takes you to the details page) and they all appear to
be source files, not the product install. They extract a tgz-file
into /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/. With all of the links on the right side I
get "cannot read FILENAME". Other files on this page work, so I do not see it
as a general problem, but rather a problem with these specific files.

Has anyone here actually tried these RPMs? Since I already spent a couple of
hours installing all of the perl dependencies I am naturally curious what
will happen when one tries to install the RPMS. The source RPMs that I
downloaded do not appear to contain any Perl modules, so it would seem to me
that at least with these RPMs, so work is saved by downloadin the RPMs. Does
anyone know what is contained in the product RPMs?

Regards,

Jim Mohr