[rt-users] Help on RT

Jay Lee jlee at pbu.edu
Tue Sep 5 11:58:44 EDT 2006

Kehinde Orisanaiye wrote:
> Thanks for the immediate reply.
>
> I will get the book you recommended later today.

Let's keep replies on the mailing list so that others can benefit from
the archives.

> Currently there is no way of injecting Mail into RT. When customers
> send 'trouble' mails to a support address say help at mycompany.com
> <mailto:help at mycompany.com>, staffs have to manually create a ticket
> for the complains and then appropriate technical staffs will then act
> on it.

Yes, that would be a pain and it would take away one of RT's main
benefits, recommend you setup RT to use the help at mycompany.com email
address.
> Now i want an automation of all this. so that RT automatically create
> this ticket seamlessly and assign it to the appropriate dept. Our mail
> Server is Exim 3.5 running on Debian. I will really appreciate your
> help in this aspect

OK, take a look at some details of how to setup Exim to interface with RT:

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?EximConfig

is RT and Exim on the same box?  If not you may need to make
help at mycompany.com an alias so that it goes to the RT box instead and
then configure an MTA on the RT box.  I use Courer-MTA not Exim so I
can't give you specific details but I'm sure others on the list are
using Exim.

> I have access to the database but its like the content of tickets is
> not stored there, I only see Trouble Ticket subjects.
Look in the attachments table, all message contents (the initial ticket
as well as replies/comments) are stored there I believe.  What exactly
are you looking for?  (if you're just trying to understand how RT works
and where the data really is, I can understand that).

Jay