[rt-users] REPOST: changing custom field value globally

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 18 13:27:34 EDT 2006

At Saturday 9/16/2006 11:49 PM, you wrote:

>There was one reply to my question but there weren't any details on how
>it was done or if it was actually what I was looking for.
>
>I have a custom field that details customer profile names.  Recently, a
>profile name has changed and we need the change in RT to be retroactive
>to any ticket created under the previous profile.  Can I do this within
>RT or will I need to run a mass update on the database?

Matthew,

You don't mention what version of RT you are running - if it's 3.6,
you can do this from the bulk update page.

If it's an earlier RT version, I'd strongly recommend not doing a
direct database update, unless you are absolutely sure you know the
RT database schema very well indeed. I find the best way to do this
kind of fix is a perl script that goes against the RT API. A sample
script that might get you started is at
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?Contributions (rt-adduser).

Steve