[rt-users] [ITIL] RE: [at-users] Triggering a new ticket on custom field change

Tim Wilson twilson at buffalo.k12.mn.us
Fri Sep 29 00:02:01 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

Please forgive the cross-post from the AT list. It seems appropriate
given the topic. (Orginal thread included below for context.) The
question below deals with the proper place to store requests for change
(RFCs) in an RT/Asset Tracker system.

My original plan was to create a new Asset Type in AT for RFCs. Todd
and Torsten think that using tickets for RFCs make more sense. I'm
prepared to be convinced either way. Here are some pros and cons as I
see them.

RFCs in Asset Tracker
=============
(+) more true to the ITIL CMDB concept
(+) easy links between RFCs and other Assets (Configuration Items in
ITIL-speak)
(-) no scrip support
(-) no support for longer form text data
(-) no file attachments

RFCs as tickets
=========
(+) scrip support
(+) file attachments
(+) new RFC creation via email or other API
(-) possible conceptual discontinuity between "tickets" and RFC

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone else who's considered using RT
this way.

-Tim

>>> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at  2:52 AM, in message
<003501c6e2d3$10990b40$61fd3f0a at dew04141>, "Torsten Brumm"
<torsten.brumm at kuehne-nagel.com> wrote:
> Hi Todd & Tim,
>
> from my point of view, i think Todd is right, an RFC is bound to a
Asset but
> don't need to exsist inside the CMDB.
>
> Btw: In the RT Users Group a small Sub Project ITIL starts and i
think it is
> a good idea also to CC the RT- Users for this, i'm not sure if all
involved
> RT- Users are also inside the AT List.
>
> And i think RT together with AT is the perfect tool to support the
ITIL
> process.
>
> @Tood: What do you think about the Date Fields for a asset as i wrote
into
> your Wishlist? This is import for most items, how hard is it to code
this
> into AT?
>
> Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kindest regards
>
> Torsten Brumm
>
> Kuehne + Nagel
> Ferdinand Strasse 29- 33
> 20095 Hamburg