[rt-users] RTGUI, a Graphical User Interface for Best Practical's Request Tracker

Torbjørn Moen crzy at start.no
Fri Apr 20 08:13:36 EDT 2007

Boris Jordanov wrote:

>> A quick and simple description of how things are done. All data that
>> we get from RT is collected directly from the MySQL database. All
>> data that we put back in (create/update tickets) are done through the
>> CommandByMail extension.
>
> Not very useful in an open environment (internet, public networks). To
> make the database accessible from all over the net...

That's true. I'm not to familiar with global settings MySQL server, but
you have the possibility to use wildcards when setting up the user with
select rights on the database. That way you can at least restrict the
user to only connect from certain IP addresses. I'm guessing you have
some of those settings in the server settings also, but I'm not sure.

Since it's a requirement form our "employer" (Gjøvik University College)
that this must be a stand-alone application we only had 2 choices.
Either try to get the data from the RT web service or get the data
directly from the MySQL database. We went for the second one. We have
the possibility to do SSL encryption on the SQL connection, but this
will still keep your MySQL server accessible......

If you or anyone else have a better solution for the problem we'll take
that into consideration and mabye change the way things are done now.

--
Best Regards
Torbjørn Moen on behalf on the RTGUI developers