[rt-users] [initialize database] Segmentation fault Problem

Randy Thompson rthompson at handmark.com
Fri Apr 20 14:57:52 EDT 2007

Hi, all

I've successfully gone through the steps to do a manual installation of
rt-3.6.3.  However, I've run into a problem during the `make
initialize-database` phase.  I get a `Segmentation fault` during the
creation of the RT_System user.  Command output:

/usr/bin/perl //opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --dba root
--prompt-for-dba-password
In order to create or update your RT database,this script needs to
connect to your mysql instance on bo01 as root.
Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no
database
password, just press return.

Password:
Now creating a database for RT.
Creating mysql database rt3.
Now populating database schema.
Creating database schema.
Done setting up database schema.
Now inserting database ACLs
Done setting up database ACLs.
Now inserting RT core system objects
Checking for existing system user...not found.  This appears to be a new
installation.
Creating system user...make: *** [initialize-database] Segmentation fault

I've searched the archives and haven't come up with anything specific to
this problem.  Searching Google came up with a reference to an older
version of rt (rt-3.2.x) that had an identical error.  It suggested
rebuilding DBI and DBD::mysql (which I have done), but I continue to
experience the same problem.  Unfortunately, Perl is exactly my
strong-point.  So, I'm kind of at a loss.  Any ideas or suggestions are
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Randy Thompson