[rt-users] 3rd party reply on a ticket creates a new ticket

Kris Boutilier Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca
Thu Aug 2 18:39:20 EDT 2007

{clip}

Are you certain that User C is replying to the email generated by RT and
not to the message that User A cc:ed to the list? We have experienced
the same behavior where User A sends a new request directly to RT and
CC's many additional users. One or more of those users enter into a
debate using 'Reply All' and each and every reply to that exchange of
emails lacks the RT subject line prefix and so spawns a raft of new
tickets. As a I understand it it's only the lack of a valid subject line
prefix that will cause RT to spawn a new ticket.

We're looking for a way to have RT just reject messages that it's cc:ed
into, period, to avoid this situation. I suspect that would have to
occur at the MTA level but I'm not certain how we'd do that as we're
using the Sendmail aliases table.

Kris Boutilier
Information Services Coordinator
Sunshine Coast Regional District