[rt-users] Scripted creation of Outlook / Exchange tasks?

lists_rt lists_rt at amnesiamachine.com
Thu Aug 9 00:52:24 EDT 2007

Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2007, at 8:25 PM, lists_rt wrote:
>
>> Hello folks!
>>
>> First off, I want to thank Best Practical for their brilliant system
>> that made my life ten times easier.
>>
>> My question: has anyone ever scripted the generation of Outlook tasks
>> from a *nix platform, either through some dandy Perl/Python/Ruby/etc.
>> module or by manually piecing together the necessary message components
>> in a script and sending it via SMTP?
>>
>> I found the following link regarding the creation of Outlook calendar
>> entries:
>>
>> http://www.mavetju.org/programming/outlook-ics.php
>>
>> I'm working to integrate the calendaring functionality into a custom
>> scrip.  However, I've been unable to find a similar resource regarding
>> tasklist entries instead of calendar entries.  (Our staff have
>> BES-integrated Blackberries welded to their hips, so Exchange task and
>>

> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Data-ICal/ can generate the .vcs / .ics
> entries you need to send. You may have to hack RT up a bit to get them
> as attachments on outgoing mail
>
> -j
Jesse, thanks for the email.

I checked into things a bit more; apparently Outlook doesn't support
ICS's VTODO component :( The code Outlook DOES generate for a task
request is, at first glance, a nightmare.

I'm going to keep hacking away at this.  If I have any success, I'll
post any relevant findings/code to the list.

-Matt