[rt-users] Stripping attachments when tickets are created/updated

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 22:42:25 EDT 2007

Using a MySQL client, it's fairly easy to move large RT attachments to
another location and replace them with "This file can be found at
ftp://fileserver.mycompany.com/queuename/attachmentid".

Large attachments clutter MySQL and slow down full text searching and
other operations (they *shouldn't* [because RT uses lots of INDEXes,
etc], but they do-- not sure why).

Can I "strip" attachments in real time? Write some sort of "hook" that
runs just before an email is INSERTed into the MySQL tables?

Stripping attachments via cron is a big kludgey (especially since I
have to do "OPTIMIZE TABLE" each time).