[rt-users] Seeking notification method advice

Tim Wilson twilson at buffalo.k12.mn.us
Tue Aug 21 23:04:35 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Our RT system is used throughout our school district which includes eight different schools. Each school has its own technician who handles the vast majority of tech support requests at that school. All of our RT tickets feed into a central queue called "Incidents," a design decision that allows our techs to help one another by dipping into the Incidents queue to grab tickets when they have time.

I just finished a scrip action that sets a custom field for each ticket in the Incidents queue based on the result of an LDAP query. For example, if a teacher from our high school submits a ticket, a ticket custom field called "Building" gets set to "BHS".

Now here's the issue: I'd like to notify the technician at a particular school when someone from that school submits a ticket. I don't want to set the tech as the ticket owner because it's possible that another tech will actually grab it. And I don't want to overwhelm all the techs by notifying them of every incoming ticket.

What's the best approach?

Would it help to create a user custom field and set that to the building too?

Could I use the SendEmailAction for this and create a version of the template for each of the techs? http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/SendEmailAction

I'd love to hear what some of you think.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson, Director of Technology
Buffalo-Hanover-Montrose Schools