[rt-users] Speed difference between superuser and others

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Fri Aug 24 08:51:35 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 11:20:36AM +0200, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 04:59:48PM +0200, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:29:03PM +0200, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:
> > >
> > > 1.49 is packaged at
> > > http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/perl-DBIx-SearchBuilder/ since
> > > yesterday, so I will try it ;)
> > >

> > I tested this last version without any performance improvement :(
> >
> > Rt is 3.6.3, with a backport of QueueSummary from 3.6.4
> >

> I found that the 90% of the time of the first RT acces with a non
> superuser user is for checking ACLs of queues. It does about 800 SQL
> requests for RT at a Glance (I have 189 queues, displayed three times
> on RT at a Glance default page).
>
> As the result, the first access take 5 minutes to display this page.
>
> A second access use the session RT cache and take only 20 seconds (which
> remains slow :().
>
> We are using an oracle database (9.2.0.7.0). This database is on a
> dedicated server with Gigabit connexion to the RT server.
>
> We do not see any problem with databse performances, could this speed
> problem be related to the fact that the database is on a diff??rent
> server (the database server as a ping of about 2ms from the RT server).
>
> Thanks for any hints on solving this performance problem :(
>

> --
> Emmanuel Lacour ------------------------------------ Easter-eggs
> 44-46 rue de l'Ouest  -  75014 Paris   -   France -  M??tro Gait??
> Phone: +33 (0) 1 43 35 00 37    -     Fax: +33 (0) 1 41 35 00 76
> mailto:elacour at easter-eggs.com   -    http://www.easter-eggs.com

Emmanuel,

That does seem a little bit excessive. 800 SQL queries in 5 minutes
is about 1/3 second per query which seems slow to me. You may want to
turn on query logging/timing and try to analyze them to find the
bottleneck. We only have 80 queues, but the initial load takes about
2.5 seconds the first time and 2 seconds thereafter. Good luck with
your performance tuning.

Regards,
Ken Marshall