[rt-users] RT related Postgres question

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Dec 3 14:31:04 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 2:31 PM, Kenneth Marshall wrote:

> Here is a list of indexes that we use here. Check your schema
> to see if you are missing any. You should not be getting a
> sequential scan.

sequential scans are not automatically bad.  if your result set is
more than a certain percentage of the whole table, it is more
efficient to scan the table than to do the extra disk seeks of going
back and forth to the index file too.

having too many indexes is bad, as you have just added a *lot* of
overhead for every insert/update/delete in that you must update all
the extra indexes.

there is some fine balance in between, which takes a lot of experience
and analysis to find.