[rt-users] Notify New Users Of Login Credentials

Gene LeDuc gleduc at mail.sdsu.edu
Thu Dec 20 16:54:43 EST 2007

Hi Ketema,

There is a pretty good example in the wiki
(http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/AutogeneratedPassword) of a template
you can use for generating the login credentials and then mailing them to
the user.

To use this in your #2 scenario, create the template with the name
"Autoreply" in the queue you want this to work in (global template if you
want this for all queues).  If the global scrip "Autoreply to Requestors"
finds a template in the local queue named Autoreply, it will use this
instead of the global template of the same name.

Disclaimer - I've never tried making a scrip that triggers on user
creation, but I think this might work.
For scenario #1, you need to create a new scrip that calls the AutoReply
template from above (or some variation of it).  Try a User Defined
condition for the scrip, with the custom condition code being something
like this:
{ my $Transaction = $self->TransactionObj;
   my $val = $Transaction->ObjectType eq "RT::User"
          && $Transaction->Type eq "Create");
   return 1 if $val;
   return 0;
}

You won't be able to recover the password because it is encrypted, but you
can create a new one using the above template and the user can change it
when he or she logs in.

Have fun playing with this!

Regards,
Gene