[rt-users] RT State of the Onion?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Feb 1 12:56:03 EST 2007

It's been a while since I've looked at RT.  The last time I tried to
get it some traction in the organization I work for, it foundered on 3
points:

	* It didn't understand "customers".

	  The company I work for is in the computer service and support
	  business.  I need a ticketing system to have an integrated
	  'customer file' that keeps track of all the information about
	  a client, specifically including mapping incoming email
	  addresses to clients and auto-carboning the appropriate
	  client supervisory email.  RT didn't do that when I looked at
	  it last, and AT could be made to do it -- I thought -- but I
	  was already selling 'up-hill' and the loose integration was
	  something I couldn't overcome.

	* I needed a "what happened today" view for the boss -- showing
	  all of today's ticket activity and status changes and total
	  time billable -- and there wasn't one, quite, and I wan't
	  smart enough to write it myself.

	* To work helpdesk with it efficiently, I sort of needed a way
	  to start keying in the notes on an empty screen, and then
	  figure out which ticket it applied to, and attach it, or
	  create a new one.

It's been over a year since I played with it; 3.2 timeframe, I think,
and I was wondering if anyone, BP or otherwise, has extended RT in any
of those direction.

I took a look at the website and the wiki... but I didn't find release
notes, or a feature list in sufficient detail to make me not have to
ask... and the screenshots are from 3.0.

Cheers,
-- jra