[rt-users] RT State of the Onion?

Roy El-Hames rfh at pipex.net
Fri Feb 2 09:31:13 EST 2007

Jesse;
Why do you need RT to own the customer database , I think its not such a
good idea ..  your support/ticketing system should be different from
your provisioning system which is different from your billing etc , the
ticketing system is not the place to hold your customer contacts
particularly as you mentioned some of those contacts will have nothing
to do with tickets .. As long as the systems talk/query each other that
is all that count.
All you need in your RT is your unique customer id, this is what I have
in here and it works (sort of) :
- customer contacts in Customer db , those that need ticket access are
tagged and auto created in RT  (also auto updated)
- contacts of customers are grouped, if each of them created a ticket a
cf customer reference is populated with the customer id
- currently customer details (products or services etc are populated
into a ticket wiki cf by grabbing the customer reference cf value and
soap call to provisioning db (this have the problem of not being updated
on old tickets and when I have time I want  to look into using the (Link
values to ) so it talks real time to a provisioning web service.

Hope the above was of any use.
Regards;
Roy