[rt-users] absolutely minimal hardware requirements to run RT

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Tue Feb 6 07:45:49 EST 2007

Ours is currently running on Fedora3/Athlon64 3500+/1GB
DDR400/Apache2/MySQL4/Exim4/RT 3.6.1/100 users/200 tickets per month

We have two instances running simultaneously, one with mod_perl, one
with FastCGI (mod_perl being the one that gets heavier load). And it
runs very quickly.

Before anyone says, of course it would, considering the hardware.. the
server it is running on is also Primary DNS / Backup DHCP and a lot more
besides.

I can imagine it would run a little slowly on the hardware you describe,
but I have absolutely no reason to believe it wouldn't work at all, or
even too slow to use.

It would suggest a config error or incompatability...

Mariusz Stakowski wrote:

>                                 Hello list,
>
>                 I'm trying to convince my colleagues to use RT. I have
> installed it on my home PC, so I can learn the RT. I would like to
> demonstrate the RT at work, and here is my problem. All I can have as a
> hardware is an old PC - Pentium II 233MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD.
> So I have chosen :
> Slackware 11 with:
> Apache 1.3.37
>  MySQL 5.0.24
> sendmail.  8.13.8
>
> I have installed
> RT 3.6.1
> and
> mod_perl 1.27,
>
>         Window manager - fcde, internet browser - seamonkey. It seems it
> is capable to work, but it "normally" dies after home page and t it
> never goes any further. Or it is extremely slow (even for me).
>         All I want is to demonstrate basic  RT functionalities. I think
> there would be no more than 100 of tickets and about five users. And the
> response time could be about 5 seconds (or at least less  than  user
> "patience limit" ). I have not done yet  any performance tuning.
>
> So my question is - is it at all possible to make RT working in this way
> on such hardware ? (I can not increase RAM - "upgrade of such an old PC
> is too expensive")
>

> I would greatly appreciate any help
>

> Best regards
>
> Mariusz Stakowski

Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 (0) 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK
http://www.jennic.com
Confidential