[rt-users] absolutely minimal hardware requirements to run RT

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue Feb 6 10:00:56 EST 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:20:06 +0100
Mariusz Stakowski <StakowskiM at prokom.pl> wrote:

>                                 Hello list,
>
>                 I'm trying to convince my colleagues to use RT. I have
> installed it on my home PC, so I can learn the RT. I would like to
> demonstrate the RT at work, and here is my problem. All I can have as a
> hardware is an old PC - Pentium II 233MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD.
> So I have chosen :
> Slackware 11 with:
> Apache 1.3.37
>  MySQL 5.0.24
> sendmail.  8.13.8
>
> I have installed
> RT 3.6.1
> and
> mod_perl 1.27,
>
>         Window manager - fcde, internet browser - seamonkey. It seems it
> is capable to work, but it "normally" dies after home page and t it never
> goes any further. Or it is extremely slow (even for me).
>         All I want is to demonstrate basic  RT functionalities. I think
> there would be no more than 100 of tickets and about five users. And the
> response time could be about 5 seconds (or at least less  than  user
> "patience limit" ). I have not done yet  any performance tuning.
>
> So my question is - is it at all possible to make RT working in this way
> on such hardware ? (I can not increase RAM - "upgrade of such an old PC is
> too expensive")

Hello,

I have configured and run 2 different installs of RT... one is on an upgraded 800Mhz P4.  Not sure on the memory, but it is no more than 768MB and may actually be 512MB.    This box also does another instance of Apache, mail handling and some firewalling.  RT on this box is barely tolerable.  I am not sure where the bottleneck is, I suspect it may be memory.

I would drag the other machine into work if possible for the demo...  People seeing a demo and having it drag like booting NT on 8MB of ram will not walk away with a positive experience.

You can also get a somewhat dated 2Ghz machine for under $200 if that is an option.  Or...  If you can scrape up an extra drive, take a desktop someone will not be using for a few days, dual boot it, or just swap the HD (probably the best option if it will be windows only after).