[rt-users] Installing the BrandedQueues extension in a local Unix account

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 23 18:13:14 EST 2007

I've installed Jesse's BrandedQueues extension before.  However, now I
need to install it within a non-privileged account (on a 'virtual private
server' where I don't have root access).  This is Solaris 10.

I've been able to configure CPAN and my PERL5LIB environment variable to
get all the RT-required perl modules installed within my account.  But my
problem is occurring when I must run 'perl Makefile.PL' to install the
BrandedQueues extension.  I can't seem to get all the right variables set
so that everything is installed in the right places.

Normally, I'd look inside Makefile.PL to figure out which variables
correspond to each component being installed.  But the Makefile.PL that
comes with the BrandedQueues extension calls a module (RTx) to generate
the resultant Makefile, so I can't easily see what's happening.

And if I look at the generated Makefile, it's hard to tell which variable
I need to set to what.  This is because some of the variables point to
perl libraries and others to RT locations and it's not quite clear exactly
which are which.

Could someone tell me which variable values I should set so that
Makefile.PL will install all the pieces of the BrandedQueues extension in
the right places?

My perl libraries are here:

    $HOME/lib/perl5/
    $HOME/share/perl/

My man directories are here:

    $HOME/share/man/

My RT is installed under

    $HOME/RT/rt/<rt-instance-name>

where 'rt' is a symlink to a particular release of RT, (e.g.
rt-> rt-3.6.3).

(I'm running two RT instances on this account).

I've tried setting such things as

    SITELIBEXP, SITEARCHEXP, INSTALLSITEARCH, INSTALLSITEBIN,
    INSTALLBIN, INSTALLSCRIPT

etc.  But it winds up installing the extension under my
~/lib/perl5/site_perl instead of in
$HOME/RT/rt/<rt-instance-name>/local/lib/RT

Help would be appreciated.  Installing this extension on systems where I
could do it as root and let Makefile.PL discover all the correct paths,
including my system perl libraries, was trivial.  But this is proving much
less so.  The main difficulty seems to be in distinguishing where my local
perl modules are and where the extension stuff should be installed.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike Friedman                        IST/System and Network Security
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU               2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                       University of California at Berkeley
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~mikef  http://security.berkeley.edu