[rt-users] mod_fastcgi or mod_fcgi, whats your expirience?

Torsten Brumm torsten.brumm at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 29 06:08:54 EST 2007

Hi Vivek,

the problems are like this:

1. We started 20 fastcgi processes, the idle timeout is like yours, so far
so fine, but our installation is splitted to www -> db server on different
systems. after the idle timeout, the processes are not reconnecting again.

2. The fast_cgi processes performing under heavy load (6000-9000 concurrent
user) absolutly bad. We have enough memory at the www box, enough cpu power
but the processes are slow really slow.

After this, we switched yesterday to mod_fcgid and from my feeling it is
better, the negativ part here....they using more memory...argh.

Our fast_cgi config:

LoadModule fastcgi_module /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_fastcgi.so

FastCgiServer /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi -idle-timeout 1200 -processes
20 -listen-queue-depth 300 -priority 9  -appConnTimeout 305

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName ticket.int.kn
        ServerAdmin hubsupport at kuehne-nagel.com
        DocumentRoot /opt/rt3/share/html
        AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
        ExpiresActive On
        ExpiresByType text/css A3600
        ExpiresByType image/png A3600
        ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A3600
        ExpiresByType image/gif A3600
        Alias /NoAuth/images/ /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/
        Alias /pics/ /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/pics/
        ScriptAlias / /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
</VirtualHost>

Btw. @Vivek. You wrote in another Post about performance "boost" with some
new indexes, but i can find this., can you repost it or sent?

Thanks

2007/1/24, Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org>:

> On Jan 23, 2007, at 8:47 AM, Torsten Brumm wrote:
>
> who is using mod_fastcgi and who mod_fcgi? Can me tell someone the pros
> and cons? We are still using mod_fastcgi and we have a lot of problems. Did
> some have a good configuration example for both??
>

> What does "lot of problems" mean?  Perhaps if you described the symptoms
> we could help fix the cause...
>
> I use mod_fastcgi on FreeBSD 6.1 with Apache 2.0, perl 5.8.8, SSL
> enabled.  i have to do an apache reload (graceful restart) once per night to
> force it to restart the fastcgi processes as they seem to memory bloat and
> we process a lot of tickets.  I'd love it if they had the equivalent of
> Apache::SizeLimit from mod_perl...
>
> ### RT3 FastCGI
>
> <Directory "/usr/local/rt3">
>     AllowOverride None
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
>

> # set idle timeout a bit longer than RT's idle timeout.
> FastCgiServer /usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi -processes 8
> -idle-timeout 305
>
> <VirtualHost *:443>
>     ServerName www.example.com
>     DocumentRoot "/usr/local/rt3/share/html"
>     AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
>     ErrorLog /var/log/httpd-rt-error.log
>     CustomLog /var/log/httpd-rt-access.log combined
>     AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi
>
>     Alias /NoAuth/images /usr/local/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images
>     Alias / /usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
>
>     SSLEngine on
>     SSLCipherSuite
> ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:!SSLv2:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:-LOW:+EXP:+eNULL
>
>     SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/etc/apache2/ssl.crt/www.example.com.crt
>     SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/etc/apache2/ssl.key/
> www.example.com.key
>     <Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
>         SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
>     </Files>