[rt-users] Suggestions for auto-archiving?

Brian Gallew geek+rt at cmu.edu
Wed Jan 31 07:39:18 EST 2007

Roy El-Hames wrote:
> This is something I pondered over , few time in the past ..
> for moving the tickets possibly have a look at Ruslan's RTx::Shredder
> as a starting point (the principle of that module is to delete
> tickets, however I think you can modify it to copy the tickets else
> where before deleting them).
> The problems/obstacle then is how to search tickets that you have
> moved to the archive??

Actually, if you run RTx::Shredder, it write an SQL file out by default
that can be used to restore the data.  That being the case, you would
need to replicate the users and queues (by ID) in your backup database
and load in the archive files.  For the very first purge, I'd be tempted
to do it backwards: dump the entire database, restore the whole thing to
the archive instance, and then purge everything newer than X,
simultaneously purging everything older than X in the "real" instance.
Then Shredder could be used to create future "diffs" to to apply to the
archive.  You would have to come up with a reasonable way to add
users/queues in a more or less automated fashion, too.