[rt-users] How does RT find an existing ticket for a new email?

Ole Craig ocraig at stillsecure.com
Tue Jul 10 16:09:54 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 15:13 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
> Hi folks.  Quick question: I know RT can use the subject line [rt #XX]
> to find
> an existing ticket for an incoming email, but if that's missing, e.g.
> because
> the customer just emailed me about the ticket, can RT figure it out in
> other
> ways, using email headers like References, In-Reply-To or
> Thread-Index?  Where
> in the source would that be?

Gary -
    Pretty sure no such functionality exists.

    I've just hacked together some procmail/perl magic to deal with an
OEM partner who uses the world's most braindead ticketing system because
their godsdamned Seibel installation can't be convinced to put our RT
number in the subject line in addition to Seibel's SR, so every piece of
ticket correspondence from within their system was generating a new RT
ticket.

    I use procmail to get to RT, so I created a procmail recipe specific
to this partner's sender addresses that pipes incoming email through a
perl filter;  the filter grabs the SR out of the subject line and then
attempts to find an RT ticket that matches. If it does, it inserts the
appropriate [$rtname #$ticketid] into the subject line before passing it
on to rt-mailgate.

--
/Ole Craig
Security Engineer