[rt-users] Users seem to be created automagically

Jeff Voskamp javoskam at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 13 10:05:49 EDT 2007

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com wrote:
> Stefan, in a nutshell, this is the default behavior of RT.  Users get
> created when added as CC to a ticket, or when some 'outside' user creates a
> ticket via email.
>
> But those users are disabled by default - they don't have permissions.  The
> reason you don't see those users in the drop-down list is because you need
> to select 'include disabled users in search' at the bottom of the screen.
>
> I don't think you can delete those users other than removing them manually
> from the DB - but I don't think that would be a good idea.  There is no
> reason to delete them in the first place.
>

> James Moseley
>

> Hi,
>
> I have some users in our RT 3.6.3 which seem to be created
> automagically by having someone placing their email-address into some
> fields (I think some users have CC'ed them like in their email-system)
> However, they do not appear in most drop-down lists, where I can choose
> users, only in some.
>
> But how can I get rid of them, they do not show up in the users list,
> and how can I change this behaviour? Is it enough to clean them out of
> the Users-table in the database? And is there a configuration parameter
> to stop them from appearing?
>
> Regards, Stefan

There are basically 3 states for users:
- Disabled
- Casual/SelfServe
- Can own tickets.

Autocreated users are "Casual" and have no rights.

Configuration/Users lists people who can own tickets.
The search function will find Casual users as well (unless you click on
"include disabled users...".

Odds are that what you want to do is search for the email address,
update the user and make sure to click on the "Let this user be granted
rights" button under the "Access Control" section. Then you can add them
to groups and allow them access to queues now that they are "Real people".

No mucking with the database is necessary.

Jeff Voskamp