[rt-users] Net monitoring solution

Viktor svitter at list.ru
Tue Jul 17 23:20:44 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am looking for a net monitoring solution, to monitor some hosts load averages, memory consumption, I/O perfomance, mails received etc.
Have some experience with rt, but not RTIR/RTFM (what are they? some 'shells' around RT or what?)
So far I have installed nagios but alas - it seems it doesn't provide convenient graphs on 'normal' activity, it does provide them on outages and failures...

I am a capable Perl/PHP engeneer, familiar with rrdtool. I think nagios + n2rrd + rrdtool + rt(rtir?) is what I am looking for. Other options include some SNMP daemon with cacti or oreon, again coupled with rt.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with SNMP, so I don't know what direction to dig at. Could anyone please share his experience on this matter? I think that's quite a common task to monitor hosts activity, to plot these graphs and receive fault notifications.

Any help would be appreciated thankfully.