[rt-users] Net monitoring solution

Michael Adams mykea at SES-Ins.COM
Wed Jul 18 11:30:43 EDT 2007

Viktor,
 I currently use Nagios for monitoring and Orca for graphing, however I am
trying out a new Nagios plugin called NagiosGrapher that is supposed to
create graphs based on the data collected by Nagios.  Check out
www.nagiosexchange.org for all the Nagios plugins you could ever want.

SES Logo

Solutions to Ensure Success
Michael Adams
Senior Systems/Network Administrator
SES Insurance Brokerage Services, Inc.

CA License #0773864
Tel:	 800.955.4737	 Fax:	 714.730.5075
Direct:	 714.669.5386

-----Original Message-----
From: rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com
[mailto:rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Viktor
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:21 PM
To: rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: [rt-users] Net monitoring solution

Hello,

I am looking for a net monitoring solution, to monitor some hosts load
averages, memory consumption, I/O perfomance, mails received etc.
Have some experience with rt, but not RTIR/RTFM (what are they? some
'shells' around RT or what?) So far I have installed nagios but alas - it
seems it doesn't provide convenient graphs on 'normal' activity, it does
provide them on outages and failures...

I am a capable Perl/PHP engeneer, familiar with rrdtool. I think nagios +
n2rrd + rrdtool + rt(rtir?) is what I am looking for. Other options include
some SNMP daemon with cacti or oreon, again coupled with rt.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with SNMP, so I don't know what direction to
dig at. Could anyone please share his experience on this matter? I think
that's quite a common task to monitor hosts activity, to plot these graphs
and receive fault notifications.

Any help would be appreciated thankfully.