[rt-users] Use attachment as original message?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at genarts.com
Mon Jul 23 09:59:52 EDT 2007

Hi -- we've just cut over to using RT as our helpdesk system, and so far so
good.  Perhaps someone on this list could help with workflow enhancement that
would be nice.  Sometimes users email our support staff directly, rather than
using 'support at mydomain.com'.  The support person then typically forwards that
email to support at mydomain.com to get it into trac (especially if they're
traveling or it's a weekend and they don't have easy access to the web
interface).

What would be cool would be if, when trac gets an email from an authenticated
user and it contains an attachment (maybe with some special text in the body),
it would parse the attachment as the ticket rather than the containing email.
 That would set the requestor correctly automatically, so we don't have to go
into the ticket and fix it manually, and it would also make the ticket
"cleaner" with less junk around the original submission.

Is there perhaps already an add-on to do this?  Or maybe I can modify the
email to trac parser?  I'm not bad with perl, so if there are examples of
detecting and getting attachments and how the regular parser works, that would
probably get me going.

Thanks!

--
Gary