[rt-users] monitoring RT

James Moseley jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Mon Jul 23 10:22:31 EDT 2007

That's why folks hire system admins - so when things stop working, they can
restart them.  ;-)  Other than monitoring HTTP and MYSQL via Nagios, you
could always write a Nagios plugin that would bring up the RT login page
and login with a real username and password.  If that is successful, then
you consider RT to be up.  If the login attempt generates errors or times
out, then you can assume that RT is 'down' and Nagios generates an alert.

James Moseley

             Nicholas Clark
             <nick at ccl4.org>
             rt-users-bounces@         Drew Barnes
             lists.bestpractic         <barnesaw at ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu>
             al.com                                                     cc
                                       rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
                                                                   Subject
             07/23/2007 09:17          Re: [rt-users] monitoring RT
             AM

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 10:15:35AM -0400, Drew Barnes wrote:
> Nagios (or something similar) monitoring each of the services seems the
> easiest way to me.  And if RT goes down, just have Nagios send an alert
> into RT and....oh, wait...

Yes, but this doesn't catch the case where the web server is working, the
database is working, but the mod_perl has got itself into a state where the
database handle is invalid and spewing errors, but DBI still thinks that
it's
connected. I was already assuming that the low level services could be
monitored easily.

Nicholas Clark