[rt-users] One email address, two queues

Marlier, Ian ian.marlier at studentuniverse.com
Wed Jul 25 10:34:32 EDT 2007

Once a ticket number is created, further correspondence on that ticket
(identified by the "[server.com #xxx]" in the subject line) goes to the
ticket, regardless of the queue.  At least that's been my experience.

I've got a 3.6.1. installation that's pretty much vanilla.  We have a
single queue in which almost all tickets are opened.  From there, they
get assigned to one of a half-dozen or so other queues for action.

The basic queue is set up as
rt:     "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue Systems --action correspond
--url http://rt.studentuniverse.com/"
rt-comment:     "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue Systems --action
comment --url http://rt.studentuniverse.com/"

while the others are set up as
dbtasks:        "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue Database --action
correspond --url http://rt.studentuniverse.com/"
dbtasks-comment:        "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue Database
--action comment --url http://rt.studentuniverse.com/"
newusers:       "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue NewUsers --action
correspond --url http://rt.studentuniverse.com/"
builds: "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue Builds --action correspond
--url http://rt.studentuniverse.com/"
builds-comment: "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue Builds --action
comment --url http://rt.studentuniverse.com/"

We do have folks who will respond to the autoreply (with the proper
subject line) to add more information, and those get to the right place
even if the ticket has been moved to a different queue -- regardless of
whether they send the mail to the rt@ address, or one of the
queue-specific addresses.

As for mail going back out on correspond, that seems to work just the
way that one would expect.  Of course, once the ticket has been moved,
the templates/scrips/etc are the ones for the _new_ queue -- so watchers
and so on need to be added to the new queue as well as the old one.

Is RT logging anything that might give you a hint?

In the queue config, did you just leave the "reply" and "comment"
addresses blank, or did you explicitly set them to be the same as the
customercare address?