[rt-users] RT not connecting to database?

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Thu Jul 26 12:48:28 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:26:08PM -0500, James Moseley wrote:
> Our mysql database is on separate server as well, however, I have
> $DatabaseRTHost set to 'localhost' via the defaults in RT_Config.pm.  You
> might try changing to localhost as well.  I will admit I don't know what
> this variable defines, exactly...

I'll give this a shot.

> I will still suggest you download the source and run 'make testdeps' on the
> box you are trying to get RT working on.  I am not suggesting that you
> actually go through with trying to install from source, just suggesting
> that you do this to find out what perl modules may be missing.  At this
> point, neither you, me, nor the list knows for sure if all the necessary
> perl modules have been installed via the FC7 yum RPM.

I'll try this as well, but I have little confidence it will help... I
opened the source on another host (CentOS 5), and make testdeps listed a
couple of dozen needed dependencies.  make fixdeps fixed a few, but
wouldn't touch most of the rest.  I try to install them via CPAN, and I
get messages about no such thing, or dependencies that fail to install,
dependencies that are further dependant upon other dependancies that
are unresolvable because they in turn are dependant upon still more
things that can't be installed... quite frankly, this is the most
frustrating software package I've ever tried to install.  I remember
cursing at sendmail 10 years or so ago.  It was well-known as a
hideously complex, arcane piece of work, and was nowheres near as bad
as RT! :-)