[rt-users] RT not connecting to database?

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Mon Jul 30 21:05:18 EDT 2007

Just to make it clear. The error you're seeing has nothing to do with
access control or something like that: names of users, passwords and
etc. It has nothing to do with any perl modules other than DBD::mysql,
but I'm sure it has nothing to do with the latter.

This error means that mysql client library can not CONNECT to a
server. Quick search through mysql site confirm my assumption
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/can-not-connect-to-server.html.
Another thing in the error is the number 13. Fast googling and
grepping though *.h files in my system suggest that it EACCESS error
code of the linux kernel, however it may be something else. Depends on
the system you're using. Ok, let's assume you're using some linux
distro, then the error you're seeing is generated by the host RT is
started on, otherwise you get some 1xx code. I see several reasons
that can cause it: firewall, selinux or another security extension of
the system. Why don't you see the same error when connect to the mysql
server from command line? You start RT as part of apache server, the
sever runs under user xxx(web, apache, nobody....). During testing
you're using another account.

On 7/24/07, John Oliver <joliver at john-oliver.net> wrote:
> When I hit my RT install in a browser, I get an Internet Server Error.
> The error_log says:
>
> DBI connect('dbname=rt3;host=10.12.14.149','rt_user',...) failed: Can't
> connect to MySQL server on '10.12.14.149' (13) at
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 106
> Connect Failed Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.12.14.149' (13)
>  at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/RT.pm line 205
> [Mon Jul 23 13:20:52 2007] [warn] (104)Connection reset by peer:
> mod_fcgid: read data from fastcgi server error.
> [Mon Jul 23 13:20:52 2007] [error] [client 192.168.2.231] Premature end
> of script headers: mason_handler.fcgi
>
> But:
>
> [root at rt3 ~]# mysqladmin -h 10.12.14.149 -u rt_user -p ping
> Enter password:
> mysqld is alive
>
> The MySQL server is up, running, and available.
>
> --

Best regards, Ruslan.