[rt-users] Cron Job

Ken O'Driscoll rt-lists at ieinternet.com
Tue Jun 5 14:21:09 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 11:01 -0700, Jeff Stark wrote:
> Hi everyone....I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to Linux (REHL)
> and I am trying to add this RT command as a cron job via crontab.
>
> I am logged in as root and when I run this manually:
>
> /opt/rt3/bin/rt list -i "Status = 'in-review' AND Resolved < '2 days
> ago'" | /opt/rt3/bin/rt edit - set status=resolved
>
> it works great.
>
> When I add it to crontab it doesn't run and here is result of...
>
> crontab -l
> 01 00 * * *  /opt/rt3/bin/rt list -i "Status = 'in-review' AND
> Resolved < '2 days ago'" | /opt/rt3/bin/rt edit - set status=resolved
>
> /var/log/cron
>
> Jun  5 10:01:01 dcrt crond[8839]: (root) CMD (/opt/rt3/bin/rt list -i
> "Status = 'in-review' AND Resolved < '2 days ago'" | /opt/rt3/bin/rt
> edit - set status = 'resolved'^M)
>
> Everything appears correct....though I am not sure what the ^M
> indicates at the end of the cron command in the log file.

Hi Jeff,

The ^M just means that you copied the command line from a MS Windows
application into your terminal application - it's a Windows return
character.

Do a 'crontab -e' go to the end of the line and delete the any trailing
spaces - that should remove it from your logs and maybe fix your
problem.

IF it doesn't, put the command into a shell script and run that via cron
- maybe cron doesn't have a nice default shell or something.

Ken.

--
This email has passed through an IE Internet MailWall gateway
and has been screened for known viruses, potential viruses and

IE Internet.com MailWall (http://ieinternet.com/mailwall/)