[rt-users] Managing dependencies

John Arends jarends at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 20 10:47:28 EDT 2007

How do people on this list manage the many, many dependencies that RT
requires?

We're running RT on RHEL, and I'd like to use kickstart to be able to
rebuild the server from scratch.

Installing the many required perl modules, and their associated
dependencies does not appear easily scripted in an automated way with
MCPAN.

What I have done is grab most of the perl modules as RPMs from Dag
Wieers (http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/) and then building a few RPMs for the
few cases where Dag did not have one.

This takes forever though, and seems like it eventually creates an
unmaintainable mess.

Part of my concern is that I want to make sure we keep the same versions
of all the modules around so I don't have to deal with compatibility
problems every time someone changes something.

RT is a really great product, and I love it, but managing the
installation is a huge pain, and it isn't something that I see discussed
often. I need to have all this stuff packaged somehow for use in a
production environment.