[rt-users] mail can't get to RT?

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 29 02:06:09 EDT 2007

I need a pointer to know what to look for in the sendmail man page/docs.

I've got RT installed and running and the mailgate working so long as you
send email from the same host where RT is installed.

We have a central mail server on another host. Mail is configured so that
mail going out from the RT host goes through the central mail server. Mail
"coming back" never actually comes to the RT host, there is an NFS setup so
that when mail gets to the central server it delivers it via NFS to the
mailbox of the user (or passes it upstream if it is not address to our
domain). So when mail comes from other hosts, the central mail server either
wants to deliver it as if it was local or pass it upstream to another server
with even less of a clue what to do with RT's mail. Although it would make
life simpler, hosting RT on the same machine as the central mail server is
not going to happen.

Ideally I would like to reconfig the central mail server so that the RT mail
actually gets sent to the RT host.

Unfortunately I barely know anything about sendmail. So I need to RTFM.
Unfortunately, the FM is enormous. I don't even know what to call this - I
was looking at relaying, but that seems to be the reverse of what I want. I
know how to get the central server to listen to more hosts and pass their
spam upstream, I have no idea how to tell it "this user lives on this host,
pass its mail directly to that host."

Please give me a hint about what sendmail feature or whatever I should look
at to fix this. Give me something to get me in the right ballpark? A crumb?

Thanks,
Dave