[rt-users] Google Summer of Code

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Thu Mar 1 13:30:05 EST 2007

Kenneth Marshall wrote:

> Joop,
>
> I saw a reference to your Oracle full-text add-in, but not the actual
> patch. I know that it can be done. I was hoping for more uniform support
> within RT when you use any DB that supports it. If you could send or post
> the patch for Oracle again, that would be great. I am working on an
> update to 3.6 with a PostgreSQL backend, and I would like to cobble in
> some full-text support for the new system.

OK, found the diff, find it attached. Its against Searchbuilder-1.40 and
  within you'll find an additional index that is needed to get this to
work, together with the fact that placing %'s around the search term is
not done anymore. I think the person behind the screen/keyboard should
decide to use wildcards and not the application behind its back. In this
case it also kills performance since you'll effectively disable any
index with search terms like these '%search%'.
Basically what this patch does is scan for searches on main.content and
rewrite the query to use the Oracle specific way of doing full-text
searches. I'm not sure this will capture all constructs, what comes to
mind is RTFM which probably needs its own patch.
Its probably rather straightforward to implement by prepping a RTFM
search and then clearing out the Oracle SGA and doing the search and
next find the generated SQL and modify SearchBuilder todo the right thing.

Hope this will help you Kenneth and maybe a couple of other people as well,

Joop