[rt-users] Can unprivileged users modify CF?

Gene LeDuc gleduc at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue May 1 15:01:31 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have a question about group rights that someone can probably answer.

Our Story So Far: I have a form on a web page that users fill out to
request DNS entries.  The form sends a formatted e-mail to RT and a ticket
is created that has several custom fields.  The custom fields (like
MachineName, IP, etc) are filled in by a scrip when the ticket is
created.  Then a message is sent to the unprivileged user with a link so
that he can see the ticket in RT.  If the user didn't have an account
previously, we give him a random password so he can login.  By following
the link in the e-mail, the user is dropped into Self-Service mode and can
see, but not change, the ticket.

We've discovered that our users sometimes make mistakes (like duplicate
host names, wrong IP, etc), so I'd like the user to be able to modify
certain (but not all) of the custom fields - like MachineName, IP, OS,
Comments.  I've assigned as many rights as I can think of, but the user
still sees a ticket that has no modifiable fields.  I've also restarted the
web server several times in case something's being cached.  The rights that
I've assigned so far are:
Global
   System
     Unprivileged: ModifyCustomField
   Roles
     Requestor: ModifyCustomField, ModifyTicket, SeeCustomField, SeeQueue,
ShowTicket
Specific Queue
   System
     Everyone: CreateTicket, SeeQueue
     Unprivileged: ModifyTicket
   Roles
     Requestor: ModifyTicket, ReplyToTicket, SeeQueue, ShowTicket
Specific Custom Field
   System
     Everyone: SeeCustomField
     Unprivileged: ModifyCustomField

Does Self Service even have a provision for modifying tickets?  If so, what
needs to be enabled in order to allow unprivileged users to modify custom
fields?  I'm considering doing it via e-mail, but I'm getting tired of
debugging scrips, and using the web would be much easier (if it's possible).

Thanks,
Gene

--
Gene LeDuc, GSEC