[rt-users] RT 4

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed May 2 15:27:06 EDT 2007

On Tue, 1 May 2007 13:54:43 -0400
Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> If, for the sake of argument, Best Practical were to rewrite RT, what

> would you want to see in the new product?
>
> Think big.
>
> Jesse

Since my org. has only been using RT for >1yr I was going to keep my
mouth shut, and watch this thread more for ways to solve my current
issues then suggesting anything new.

After reading, I only saw one person mention something related to
"executive summary" reports.  Something that we could hand the PHB's and
show them the work done, work not done, etc.  (The earlier user noted it
like this:

> 7.) Management tools. my boss would like a report page.
> how many tickets came into our department, how much
> does we solve, how long it take (not as a queue view,
> but for the instance).

I would also like to put a vote AGAINST ajax like improvements.  I like
the simplicity, and with the simplicity, the choices.  With straight
HTML, I know it will work in Firefox, Dillo, Lynx, my PDA, etc.  Now
cleaning up the HTML Themes, better CSS, bringing the appearance out of
the 1990's, etc.. that would be OK/GREAT and I understand that some is
there in 3.6/7.  I have tried a number of ajax apps on slower
computers/slower connections, less capable browsers, etc., and it is
just not an enjoyable experience.  We have to remember that not all
users are able to have a brand new computer, with a huge pipeline.

Sorry for the negative, but there was so much positive for this one, and
I am not 100% sold on the idea of ajax/ruby being as great as it is
hyped (I may be the only one :-?  )

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org