[rt-users] Re: RT 4

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon May 7 14:31:23 EDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 6:58 PM, Jon Forrest wrote:

> A "native mode" ticket deletion function. I know that Ruslan wrote
> a ticket remover but my understanding is that RT was designed
> assuming that tickets wouldn't be deleted. In these days of
> massive spam, I don't think that's a reasonable assumption.

Having a very strong and complete SQL model (not one hacked up with
arbitrary values for "lack of relation" and such) would make this
much simpler.  The DB would handle all the cascading work for you and
all you need to do is delete either the user or the ticket and the
rest of the garbage goes with it.

This would be my number 1 "feature" of RT4: a solid relational
database model in which the DB enforces all data integrity for you.

My number 2 feature would be simplification of the permissions
management interface... right now it slices vertically so you have to
go to each queue and manage users per queue.  I'd also like to view
it horizontally and manage queues per user, for example.  If
possible, the permissions mechanism should be fixed such that its
representation in SQL would make for an easier way to query it when
computing for example the top ten unowned tickets.... right now with
complex setups with multiple queues you sometimes see fewer than 10
tickets since you can't view all of the top 10 based on your
permissions which are computer too late.