[rt-users] 'Could not load a valid user' BUT: 'Everyone' privs are OK

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.berkeley.edu
Wed May 16 19:44:37 EDT 2007

I'm getting this error message from rt-mailgate:

   not ok - Could not load a valid user at /users/ist-rt/bin/rt-mailgate-real line 109, <> line 1.

when I run rt-mailgate with '--debug' from the command line. Yet I've
given the 'Everyone' group rights to create and reply to tickets.

In fact, the RT database was copied over from another RT instance, so the
entire configuration is the same.  Yet on the original RT instance, I have
no trouble with rt-mailgate.

Could someone suggest other things besides the above-mentioned rights that
could cause the 'could not load a valid user' message?

I should mention what is different in the new RT environment:

o  RT 3.6.3 instead of 3.4.5

o I run rt-mailgate from my own account on a 'virtual application server'
that's on a different system than where RT is.

o The mail server receiving email for RT (on the aforementioned 'different
system') is running exim, not sendmail.

In order for rt-mailgate to work, I must wrap it in a script that sets the
PERL5LIB environment variable to point to all my local perl libraries,
where, for example, Crypt::SSLeay is installed (needed by rt-mailgate
because the RT URL is 'https').

That's why the above message refers to 'rt-mailgate-real', which is the
'real' rt-mailgate, called by my wrapper script that's named
'rt-mailgate'. (I did this because it's a headache to get the mail
sysadmins to change the aliases, where I had already asked them to use
'rt-mailgate').

Anyway, can you think of some reason I'm getting an error that normally
would be associated with insufficient rights for unprivileged users? Are
there other rights besides those of the 'Everyone' group I should be
looking at?

Of course, since the rest of the configuration should be identical to that
of the other RT instance that does work, I can't see that it's a rights
issue.

Unless, naturally, I'm overlooking something.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike Friedman                        Information Services & Technology
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU               2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                       University of California at Berkeley
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~mikef  http://ist.berkeley.edu