[rt-users] Desperately ned Oracle help

Vonnahme, Nathan nathan.vonnahme at bannerhealth.com
Thu May 17 15:29:06 EDT 2007

________________________________

	From: rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com
[mailto:rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of
Baytalskiy, Sal
	Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:47 AM
	To: Justin Brodley; rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
	Subject: RE: [rt-users] Desperately ned Oracle help

	The Oracle readme said that the DB needs to be prepared.
	So i ran the schema.Oracle file via the SQLPlus and it inserted
all the tables and indexes.
	So i now have the database setup, just empty. No data.
	Then, while running the 'make initialize-database' there's a
step in that script to insert the schema. Since i already did that - i
commented it out, just like the Wiki suggests.
	So that step should be skipped and it should just try to insert
the required data into the DB.
	And that's where i'm stuck at this point.

	After some googling i found that i might have a problem with the
DBD::Oracle. Apparently it tried installing that module as a 64-bit.
	But my Perl is 32-bit. This seems to be a common occurence.

It may help to narrow the problem by testing DBD::Oracle first.  Try
using the 'dbish' utility installed with DBI, or with a test script like
this (copied and pasted from one I used a while back-- I had to mess
with manually setting $ORACLE_HOME and $LIBPATH in some cases):

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

print "hello\n";

use DBI;
#use DBD::Oracle;

#print "ENV:\n", map {"  $_:  $ENV{$_}\n"} sort keys %ENV;

if ($^O =~ m/aix/i) {
        $ENV{ORACLE_HOME} = '/usr/local/oracle/instantclient';
        $ENV{LIBPATH} = $ENV{ORACLE_HOME};
}

my $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:Oracle:host=clorad1.aig.com;sid=clorad1',
'user', 'password');

print join "\n", $dbh->get_info(17),
        $dbh->get_info(18);

print "\nname from v\$database:  ", $dbh->selectrow_array("select name
from v\$database");

print "\n\n";

I had trouble in the past with 64 / 32 bit perl and Oracle client libs,
so if you do this and still think that may be the issue I can send you
my notes on that, or you can probably google them up somewhere.

-n