[rt-users] Desperately ned Oracle help

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Fri May 18 06:03:57 EDT 2007

Baytalskiy, Sal wrote:
> Hey guys!
> A little update:
> i've been looking at the rt-setup-database script trying to figure out
> how to get around the issues i'm having.
> So the very first error mentioned this: at
> //usr/local/rt3_ora/sbin/rt-setup-database line 103 which is this
> *$dbh = DBI->connect( get_system_dsn(), $args{'dba'},
> $args{'dba-password'} )*
> So i replaced that with: $dbh = DBI->connect( "DBI:Oracle:",
> $args{'dba'}, $args{'dba-password'} )
>
> That seemed to get me a bit farther as i got this output:
> Now creating a database for RT.
> ...skipped as mwpoc is not mwpoc or we're working with Oracle.
> DSN component 'CLORAD1' is not in 'name=value' format at
> /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/sun4-solaris-64int/DBI.pm line 627
> DBI connect('CLORAD1;port=1521','mwpoc',...) failed: Can't connect using
> this syntax without specifying a HOST and one of SID INSTANCE_NAME
> SERVER SERVICE_NAME at //usr/local/rt3_ora/sbin/rt-setup-database *line 138
> *Can't connect using this syntax without specifying a HOST and one of
> SID INSTANCE_NAME SERVER SERVICE_NAME at
> //usr/local/rt3_ora/sbin/rt-setup-database line 138, <STDIN> line 1.
> make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255
I'm using Oracle too and it should not matter whether the database is on
  the localhost or a remote one, so I would go back and do the following:
- drop the schema of RT on the remote server
- add the RT user or grant DBA role to it (temporarily)
- configure RT again with the correct parameters these are mine adjust
accordingly:
   -- export ORACLE_HOME=/your/oracle/home
   -- export ORACLE_SID=YOURSID
   -- (else the following line will barf)
   -- ./configure --with-db-type=Oracle --with-db-dba=rt_user
      --with-db-database=XE

  (if XE is in your tnsnames.ora then everything should work doesn't
matter where that db is)
- make initialize-database

As to the 32/64bit problem that used to be an issue but since I haven't
done a clean install in a while I don't  know if current DBD::Oracle
still has problems. The way I fixed this once, from memory, is that I
did edit the make file to use $ORACLE_HOME/lib32 instead of
$ORACLE_HOME/lib which is since 10g 64bit instead of 32 as is used to be
in pre 10g.
But you should get a error from making DBD::Oracle which should be
rather clear on  this issue since it complains about elf64 problems.

Hope this helps, either contact me offlist, I might be able to help.

Joop